Sunday 9 June 2013

It's Only Words

Saturday 8th June 2013

It's Only Words

How can the prospect of typing some words be so terrifying? Really? Just some words. I use them all the time. Lots of them. Anyway...

Let me introduce myself. My name is Tony Macklin and I am:-
a) A Doctor Who fan 
b) Autistic
c) A Husband and Father.

There's no order of importance to the above, but they do, as a whole, give a small insight into who I am and more importantly why I am writing this blog.
I have recently become a great fan of Philip Sandifer's Eruditorum site,http://www.philipsandifer.com/ and find his continuing cultural analysis of Doctor Who an unending source of fascination. One thing I keep noticing is how much I seem to have missed in terms of sub- and para-text. This stems from the facts of my autism. Both myself and my youngest son have Asperger Syndrome and, broadly speaking, sub-text and nuance are something of a closed book to us both. The strange thing is, I still love Doctor Who every bit as much as someone who sees the underlying text as plain as the nose on their face. And this is what I aim to explore on this blog, why the two ends meet in the middle. Doctor Who from the point of view of an autistic kid, who only found out he was autistic at the age of forty one (that's last year by the way). The Scottish girl in the English village. Off we go. 


No comments:

Post a Comment